Saturday, January 23, 2010

This Day

Was a good day. A relaxing day. And then a day that I wanted to end... quick.

It started with checking out properties to invest in with my parents... Lets Pray Uncle Sam gives us a good return. My LOVELY cousin had the girls, really it was good. Then we came back and just laid around... even Clint relaxed with us too (He never puts his feet up anywhere other than home). Then.......... My Mom was told about this boutique at a Ladies house who had a bunch of fancy frilly stuff. So we went and Remy, my SIL tagged along too. Impromptu, but it worked.

Until My little monster of a 3 year old decided she wanted "all of the headbands" rather than just one. She threw a fit that was like record... no more like Guiness Book of world records size FIT. So rather than smacking her in public and having the liberals call CPS on me (Joking) I pulled Supernanny out of the back of my brain, took a deep breath, handed Kylie to Remy and was on my way to set that girl straight. Took the 6 headbands out of her hands (She Screaming- I'm Calm) Starting taking the Tutu off of her that she had also picked out... thats when the kicking started. I got as far as to the door, when she flexed her little foot in the door jam holding on for dear life. Like she was safe inside the house. Because she knew I meant buisness. If she gets taken outside it is usually serious. So I UnPry her foot and get her outside. Sit her on the bench and explain to her why her behavior is completely un-acceptable, when she decides to scream her little face off at me, eyeballs popping out of her head and everything. It was at that Moment My Grandma Busha graced me from heaven like an angel and said "Don't do it, Aly.... you'll regret it."
Ok-- so I didn't hear any voices, but some form of an angel was with Me at that moment telling me not to beat my kid. Think Supernanny Aly, Think Supernanny.

So Quietly, I picked her up kicking and screaming and took her to the car, put her in her seat and shut the door... while I stood outside the car taking a few needed deep breaths.

Yesssss! I did it.... I beat my 3 year old at her own game. I never knew I would be in some form of competition with my kids... but truthfully, kids are darn smart and that is what it is. Lets see who will cave first, I would say. Man, being a Mom is hard. I am drained.

Now I am home everyone has calmed down. Chloe is being weirdly good, trying to earn her headbands tomorrow. She knows. She knows just how mad I was and just how much trouble she is in. Tayler being the sweet Muffin she is, gave her hers! Darnit Tay. Oh well, at least I stood my ground and she know I am serious and a little crazy.

I once watched an episode of Oprah, you know the one with all of the Moms. Well one of the Moms said something along the lines of " Your kids have to know you are a little crazy and can be just a little scary at times otherwise they will never take you serious."

What a great point. Today, my kids found out that Mom is a little crazy and we're a little scared.

Go Me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goooo ALY!!! You rock my world. I am glad the day ended well.... although margaritaville sounded fun. Hope to see you soon.

Porter and Karla said...

I think I may need you to come whisper think supernanny to me next time i have a standoff with elizabeth. she already knows im crazy but it doesnt stop anything because i think she is crazy too and that scares me:)

Unknown said...

Good Job! We've had a few (okay a lot) of those moments around here lately. You just got to let them know you are in control!

rumzisfamily said...

A stand off with toddlers can be very intimidating!! I saw that episode of Oprah and LOVED it! Husbands and children of ours have to know that we are always right on the edge of completely losing it...the fear of not knowing what we will do next can definately be an asset! Miss you guys!

Chelsey Howard said...

I hate when my kids throw fits like that. Its so hard to step back from the situation and not let your emotions take over. Bravo aly, I know that what you did takes a lot of self control and patience:)