Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Baby who Just Wont Stop Crying?

Ok, I need some advice from the other Mamas out there! As many of you may or maybe may not know...Tayler is very grouchy. The fist 5 months of her life were spent screaming with horrible colic. Now, she is much happier. Well that is if she is connected to my hip, at all times! I just cant hold her all the time anymore... and the sling gets in my way. So I found some (a lot) of toys that are new to her and try and put her in front of the TV with Noggin on so I can fold laundry, make food, pay attention to Chloe or Just take a break. And she just screams and screams and wont stop. I cannot get anything done. I just feel like at 8 months she should be playing more. I try to let her cry a little bit so she knows I will not just run over there when she screams... but she wont stop!! Its awful. I always devote about an hour of playtime on the ground with her when she wakes up from her nap... just so she can have some Mommy time to herself before Chloe wakes up. The second I try to leave to do something else... she panics. I try the swing, the bouncer, the jumparoo.... EVERYTHING! What am I missing? Has anyone had a baby like this? If so, what worked for you???

7 comments:

Jenna said...

Hmmmm... that's a tough one. This is kind of a pain, but maybe just whatever your doing, bring her with you and set her on the floor close to you with some toys or something so she can see you. I don't know if that will satisfy her though. Or maybe try to get Chloe to entertain her for a while. That's the best I can think of, hopefully someone else has some more useful ideas! :)

Mary Taylor said...

That is tough. I'm thinking it's maybe a weird phase she's going through, like seperation anxiety. Drew was the same way, sort of. He just wanted to see everything all the time. I'll bet she gets a million times better once she can crawl around and explore. I'm sure it'll only get easier...good luck!

Unknown said...

So glad you found me! Your girls are seriously so dang cute! I don't really have any helpful advise on the fussy baby situation-- but my nephew was super fussy like that and they figured out that it was a milk allergy. So they switched him on a different formula and he was 100 times better and was actually a happy baby! Other than that, just stick with it. You seem like such a great mom! Being mom is the hardest job ever!

Anonymous said...

Is this new or a lot worse since your trip to Nashville?? Sounds like bigtime separation anxiety. You will probably need to really baby her through it until she forgets or becomes occupied with something else. Luckily they usually forget little separations fairly quick. Move her to where she can see and hear you all the time (which you've probably already tried) Good luck and hang in there. You're a great Mommy! I love you! Aunt Becky

Alexa Mae said...

thats a toughy...maddix was like that but i dont remember how we got her over it. but my cousin nannies for a little girl, bella who is turning 1 this month and she is the exact same way...if shes not being held (just by anyone) shes crying. my cousin does the same thing as you and just lets her cry so she'll know that she cannot always be held. i think it just has to do with personalities...like maddix is a high maintanance lil woman, and so is bella. maybe she just got used to being held alot and now she doesnt know any better. i do remember when maddix would cry like that i would sit her down with toys, in front of a cartoon, and look at her and tell her (even though she probably couldnt understand) that "mommy isnt going to hold you right now, mommy is busy" and carry on with my household duties and just let her cry. and eventually she will realize you cant hold her and she will occupy herself with something. like playing with chloe, or a toy, or find a new show that she can start to love. this is just a lil phase, and although it drives you crazy, it will pass. you are an awesome mama....and your girls are adorable!!! (oh sometimes when i get really really frustrated i scream into a pillow...crazy? yes. but it seems to help...hahaha) lets have a playdate!!

Porter and Karla said...

i have never had a 8 month old but last week elizabeth was acting similar, would scream if i didnt hold her and i had to stand with her as she watched baby einstein, she would not even let me sit down then i noticed a tooth come thru and this week she is a happier baby.maybe your little one is going thru something and she just wants mammas comfort, i would try a dose of baby tylonol as recommended for a day and see if shes a little more comfortable then you know if she has something else going on???or since she was colllicy i know sometimes they associate it with gas/sensitive stomaches so maybe she is sensitive to something in her diet?i also knew a baby who was really fussy and she ended up having a milk allergy too. oh and yes we should do something some time for sure;its so fun getting together with other moms!!:)

Courtney said...

Hi Aly,

Okay, I feel a little out of place commenting since I don't have kids but I am reading a book on the topic of child temperaments (oddly enough- yes, I'm a geek) and perhaps your two girls just have very different temperaments and Tayler just needs to be approached in a different manner.

I'm really only just starting this book so I can't really offer much help (plus I'm no expert) but the book talks about how kids react to things.
*How they adapt to new situations; *new foods;
*if they eat/ sleep on a schedule; *how they handle crowds;
*new people;
*if they prefer calm activities or constant motion;
*if they are sensitive to sounds, smells, touches, etc;
*if they are intense (loud, dramatic- wear emotions on sleeve or quiet, calm- emotions hard to read)
*if they make transitions easily or are even little transitions difficult for them to make.

There are a couple of more but I feel like I'm writing a novel here. Anyway, none of these options are bad or good but it's good to know which one your child is because then you can adapt situations smoother and make life a little easier. Like if you know your child is going to have a hard time with transitions you can announce that it's going to be time to clean up the toys 15 minutes in advance, then 10 minutes, then 5 minutes to give them plenty of warning so they aren't shocked when the time comes (we do that at school all the time).

Anyway, I don't know if this is helpful at all.

-Court
PS I read your blog all the time and I love all the photo updates! :)