Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Love of Family


This past week our Grandpa George was hospitalized after he collapsed-- and was sadly removed from Life Support on Tuesday February 24th. It was a very sad night for the Slone family as we had lost the Man that built this legacy we call the Slone Family. Now when I say a Legacy, I am serious! There were probably 40 people, all Slone, at the hospital that week, and no one would leave... this is just simply how they are. I feel so blessed to have been married into this family. George raised all of his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to live their life thru Christ and always put your family first. He was an amazing man that had a way of making everyone feel like you were the most important person in the world. When Chloe was born, I was induced at 5:00 am and didn't have her until 7:00 pm. Well George and Linda sat tirelessly with our parents from about 10:00 am on. They had no intention of leaving before she was born. Tayler came to quickly for anyone to sit and wait, but George and Linda of course drove all the way from Show Low just to walk me out as I was being discharged. They would have never even considered missing me! I, being an inlaw, was always treated as I was one of his own grandchildren-- the sweetest words, and the warmest hugs could always be expected! This weekend we went to Show Low for the service and it was a beautiful celebration of his life. The church was absolutely packed with people, all of whom George has touched in one way or another. We then returned to Grandma Linda's house to be with the family... and let me tell you, it was so comforting to be surrounded with family, food and chatter! Is there anything better? I wish the circumstances could have been different... nonetheless it was great to be with family.

So now as we have returned home, It is time to start another week. Back to Laundry, back to dishes, cooking, the whole nine yards. I am a little overwhelmed even thinking about it.

No post would be a post without filling you in on our ever going Baby name Drama!
As we were sitting at Linda's house... we decided to talk about names. People threw out names left and right-- Clint shot them down one after another. Until someone said Kylie, and Clint said I like that... it's a winner! Excuse Me what?????? Do you know how many times I have asked him about this name??? 10,000 to be exact. He swears I have never mentioned it. It must be nice to know that I am heard, right? I have loved Kylie forever! So now all of the Slones...including Clint are on board for Kylie Jo Slone ! I love it, and I think I am putting a stop to the drama and just name the kid now... once and for all!

13 comments:

Tami Proffitt said...

that was a beautiful tribute to clint's grandfather...what a good example to reference when choices come along. aly..beautifully written! and name...LOVE IT!!! one of my closest friends has a daugher names kylie AND her middle name is Jo! how crazy! BUT..i'm absolutely crazy about my kylie! the girls call her ky ky!

Chelsey Howard said...

Cute, I like it, it has a good flow:) sorry to hear about Grandpa:( But its nice that you all were together and he's in a better place:)

Jenna said...

That is so sad about his grandpa, but such a sweet post about him! And I love love love kylie! Kylie and Kelsie were two of my favorites when we were trying to name Lacey! So cute! I hope you guys stick with it!

Courtney said...

Wow Aly! That really was a great post about your grandfather-in-law. He most certainly will be missed.

As for Kylie, I think it's great and it goes well with Chloe and Tayler so you're all good!

Have a good week!

andermom said...

How special that you will always remember when you picked Kylie's name, surrounded by the love of family!

the bero's said...

How bittersweet. Sad but nice to have all the family around. I love the name Kylie but Jake didn't! It came up when we were trying to name Stella.

I am bummed that Matty used Cash, that was our number one boy name...

I know the intelligender is silly! I am just impatient. wishful thinking hahaha!

Kyle Katie and Talen Slone said...

That was wonderfully said Aly! We are all going to get through this! He was the most amazing person! You guys let us know when you want to come up, it would be so much fun!!! You guys take care, talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your family's loss. He sound's like a great man. At least you know that he is in a better place.

Love the name Kylie. Cute!

The Oxford Family said...

Sorry for your families loss.

Love the name though...and what a memory of how it came to be!

Alexa Mae said...

im so sorry! that is so hard. beautiful words you wrote about that man. i hope his wife is okay.

kylie {well Kylee} is my lil sisters name. she's a little firecracker let me tell ya! you should spell it like keighley {poulsens} name. love it! good choice!

The Oxford Family said...

I never know how to comment back, so hopefully you get this :) I am actually just about ready to open shop to sell some stuff I have been making! I am going to (fingers crosse) release my link this weekend...I'll put up a blog about it :) I don't know what you are wanting to spend (they are listed at 20) but I am sure we could work something out :)

Unknown said...

Hey Aly,
What an awesome tribute to "Grandpa George" Family really came through when we needed them didn't they! We love you guys...but you know that. And we love the name too; its a keeper.
lu, yer ma-in-law

Megan Swiatkowski said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Clint's grandpa, but your tribute to him is beautiful. He sounds like a really great man. The Slone family is such an amazing family. It's really wonderful that you all have each other to lean on.

On a happier note, love the name!! Very cute.