Wednesday, March 17, 2010

WARNING: this is going to be a food/weight post

I know, I know.... lame right. I promised a while ago I wouldn't blog again about weight dilemmas.

But I mean seriously.... I am a woman, Whatya want from me?

Ok, so I was going to get on tonight and blog about an idea I had to tribute Thursdays--- (Yes I know it is wednesday) to "Thursdays Thoughts" but I knew good and well that one thought was going to swallow the post. So whatev. I'll just go there. And if this isn't your forte' than you can check out riiiightttt......now.

Preface: Yes, I struggle with food. I am aware of it. I try hard not to pass it to my kids. I know I am not fat... even though I will frequently say I "feel" like I am. out of shape maybe, but I know I sholdn't make light of the word FAT. It just is a constant battle in my head of sick mind/well mind.... what I feel and what I know. So here we go.
.
.
.

Last night I actually caught myself pacing the kitchen debating on whether or not to have a bowl of yummy Rocky Road ice cream.... I had dinner and there was no reason I should have wanted dessert, right? I kept waiting for Clint to say "Hey let's have some ice cream babe." Ummmmm but no. Have I ever told you Clint hates sweets? Seriously, yeah.... I live with him! Then I thought I really can't have Ice cream because clint will probably look at me like "Woa there.... didn't we just eat???"

So I did it. I let my insecurity surface and asked him the most retarded question that has ever surfaced my lips.

"Babe will you still think I am hot after I wolf down a bowl of ice cream?"
Oh my gosh Im embarassed to even RE say it. Why would I even care what he thought? Who the heck cares? I mean really. {I do}

He looked at me the way I thought he would and said "Yeah..... we'll probably never do it again." {We all know that is sarcasm} The man would croak without IT after about 24 hours. I mean look at all of these kids I have running around, surely not MY fault. Anyways..........
I laughed and said Thanks Boo. Made a bowl of ice cream. And it was freakin Bomb.com! Made my night.

Before I went to bed I did a handful of crunches and jumping jacks to even the playing field.

It's evil I tell ya. The Ice cream controlled my night.

So now today the saga continues. I had some eggs for breakfast, Cafe Rio for lunch, a St. PAT cookie, and a few pizza rolls for dinner. After dinner..... I knew I couldn't sit down and indulge once again in my guilty pleasure. I didn't need it two nights in a row and I knew that. I already had a super sugary cookie today. But instead I was like a machine, pretending to be casual, Like I hadn't been obsessing all day about NOT EATING THE ICE CREAM.

SO what did I do? I got a spoon. Got the carton. and took 3 bites. Perfect! {not really}

I don't know if Clint was pretending not to notice or didn't notice at all... but after he walked away--- probably to pee IDK, in my head it was for other reasons--- I thought of a movie called "Someone Like You" with Ashley Judd, Hugh Jackman, and Greg Kinnear.

I remembered the part where Hugh Jackman talks of how he was turned off by a woman he brought home because she ate Ice Cream out of the carton. So it makes me think that somewhere out there, there are these stigmas. And Ashley Judd goes off. Defending the woman. Bringing ideas to the table such as..... Maybe she didn't want to dirty a bowl, maybe she didn't have dinner, maybe she just wanted to take one bite... and who is a man to critique her actions. For sure Clint had to have been having a Hugh Jackman moment, right? {Probably not}

So now all kidding and humor aside I will openly admit that there are times in my life when food completely CONTROLS me. Like a crack addict {Kinda} I cannot stop thinking about it until I finally cave and HAVE it. And even when I try my hardest to just avoid it.... that's when the crazy thoughts come in---- like "you won't be Hot to your husband anymore" "Most People don't eat ice cream after dinner--- only me"

It's weird. Like freakin posessed weird. Seriously I mean after everything I have been through.... How do I not know how to get myself back in check??? Why are Unhealthy thoughts running wild. Why am I trying to justify that is ok to eat to get the taste and then eliminate via excercise or other means just to maintain my figure.

It's awful. I want to remove my head from my shoulders, shake it around.... Tap on one ear to get all of the awfulness out the other and then reattach to shoulders.

But you know Me... I keep chugging along doing things I was put on earth to do. Be the best Mom I can be, Be a good wife and daughter, Keep it real, and be honest about my struggles. I think we may have been given struggles for a reason. To learn. To be strong. To teach. So I blog it. I keep it real. I tell anyone who wants to listen about it. Because just maybe one of these times thru typing- I might just get it. I may just have a light bulb moment. But until then I vow to blog my rough patches right out of my system. Writing, or typing rather, truly is medicine!

7 comments:

Dustin and Tiffany said...

Hey there, Big Momma here. Big Momma says eat whatcha want as long as you remember that calories in equals calories out. You know what part I'm good at now don't ya!! LOL!

porter and karla said...

I hope you feel better when I tell you porter and I sit down to a large bowl each of ice cream NIGHTLY. NO JOKE.most of the time it even has brownies mixed in. If I don't suggest it he does. We love sweets! I know it is easier said then done but eat when you are hungry and dont feel guilty. It takes energy to be a mom and energy come in ice cream calories too:)Sit and eat cookies with your kids, make you date nights last longer with dessert and relax with a treat after a hard day, sometimes its just what a hard working mom needs.

The Oxford Family said...

I like Karla!

Really though Aly I know what you mean... to a certain degree anyways. I think as women we all have this inner fear and insecurity that can sometimes take over. You may get frustrated when your evil voice takes over, but now you can battle with the good voice. Ice cream here and there will not kill you or make you fat. I think chasing those 3 girls probably will make it impossible for you to be fat! Oh and the ice cream controlling your night...chips and salsa has been known to control my days too! Like literally trying to justify a way to sneak them in :)

Keep chugging along girl! You have been at the bottom of eating/food hell and rose above! You have the fight in you and hopefully every year gets a little easier.

PS I don't think anyone minds you posting your battles here! We support you!

Courtney from The Beauty Mark said...

Wait, people don't eat ice cream after dinner? Or a piece of chocolate after each meal? Well then, I am in trouble too.
You know what? We work hard all day long and I don't see what is wrong with rewarding ourselves with dessert. Maybe if you tell yourself you CAN have it, you won't obsess about it as much? {speaking from personal experience}

SloneFamily said...

What awesome people you all are! I feel so lucky :)

Karla you are the best.
Tiffany... you just had a baby and are lookin great!
Scotti you totally get it, love you!
Courtney, Great point! Love you, thanks for comin on over. I love the Beauty Mark, I am putting a button up ASAP

the bero's said...

okay, couple of things-
I think you shouldn't be so worried because the way to tell if the food issue is becoming serious again would be if you were keeping this whole situation a secret. If you were planning to act on those thoughts(if you had them) of revisiting old habits then you would have not spoken out about the feelings you were having. I am sure you have heard "you're only as sick as your secrets".
Since you kept yourself honest about what was happening it sounds like you are doing okay! It is a great thing to be able to call yourself out on the obsessive behaviors/thoughts. You are not crazy-I have experienced everything that you were saying, maybe not about food-but ya know what I'm talking about. And as someone who has a similar past as you and has overcome it, let me tell ya-you are doing the right thing by staying open and honest about what going on in your head!
Now you should maybe be concerned next time if you those feelings come up and you keep it to yourself instead of letting anyone know. You know the only person that's going to be able to help you is you-its hard to admit your faults when you are striving to be the perfect mom/wife/daughter/sister. But I know you have agreat family behind you to support you and they will not judge you for your faults. So don't be afraid to let someone know if you are struggling. Getting it out in the open takes the power out of it! I am proud of you for blogging the incident because hopefully it will help get the weight off your back so to speak. And I am here if you need to vent to someone who is familiar with the daily ordeal of keeping that monkey off your back!

Sorry to comment a novel here but I just want to stress the fact that your are doing so good! Love ya girl:)

Jacque said...

Seriously? Are we twins at the moment? I was debating over a huge bowl of ice cream last night. I decided against it since I had been sick all day, but now I'm craving some. I think that you are so amazing Aly for talking about things like this. I think everyone has insecurities and sometimes are afraid to express them. I know I do, but through reading your blog and Karla's you guys are giving me the courage to talk about things that I keep hidden. I love you and am so proud to call you my friend even if we live super far apart from one another. You are doing a great job being a mom of 3 {I dont know how you do it}! You totally deserve some ice cream at the end of the day :)