Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dear 16 year old Aly

Ok first things first I got this idea from another blog called RED BOOTS Go check it out, but it really gave me chills when I opened it, because I always think about "If I only knew then what I know now!!!!" That phrase drives me crazy because I wish I did---- but if I did then I wouldn't have my babies like I do. It's all fate and in the hands of someone bigger than me.

But don't you wish you could have got a letter from yourself to tell you right from wrong-- I sure do! I would have a whole lot less regret today.

So here is mine and I encourage others to do it too, email it to me with a picture of yourself and I will post a couple of them!

Dear 16 year old Aly,

Cherish this time that you have now Aly, with the whole world in front of you. You really can do anything you put your heart to... you just have to venture out and do it. Don't be scared, you can do it!

Please start paying attention more in school and realizing how benficial it will be to your future. You are smart when you want to be, you just need to keep your mind on the right things.

Please stop hoping that your real father will come around or change.... trust me he won't-- and soon you will be the one teaching him a thing or two about life as he sits behind bars. Look at the father who raised you and know that he is right, and he is good.

Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you're beautiful, because you really are... and after you are 23 with 3 young daughters you will kill to look the way you look now, really I am serious.

Quit expecting perfection from yourself.... striving for perfection is a race you will never win. You WILL fit into your jeans tomorrow and look great in the TORO leotard too, so cut yourself a break and go eat, really eat a lot!

Never listen to the opinions of those who don't know you well. If you are happy and in love with Clint then don't chance it just so you can "experience highschool and the single life"-- You know You. and you never know maybe this is the man you will marry and will father your 3 daughters.

High school is overrated! The second you put your whole heart and soul into school spirit and being a "good pommie" and making friends with the popular crowd--- someone will make up a rumor that will pull the rug out from underneath you and you will be a senior with no friends at a new school, but don't worry it all works out, for you and strangely enough your brother too ...lets just say you may find your brothers Dream woman and best friend all in one. Fate works in mysterious ways!

ALy all I can tell you now is that your life will turn out beautifully... so just keep doing what you are doing and know everything happens for a reason. Most importantly just treat yourself better than you are now... please! Cherish yourself.... your self worth and value is worth way more than your letting it go for. Stop worrying about what other people say about you. Stop worrying about your weight. Start eating.

Keep you friends close but your Family CLOSER... your family will be the ones that stick around when you are not a fun person to be around. I love you and I can't wait for you to see how your life turn out!

Love, 23 year old Aly-----

PS even though you think you know everything and your parents know squat.... just trust that it is definitely the other way around and you really should just listen!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh. I'm all teary- eyed. What a great idea!

Matt and Hilary said...

I LOVE this Al... seriously, I wish we had letters from ourselves now when we were in high school! You are the best! I love you and I was just thinking to myself today, "What would I do without Aly?" Thanks so much for everything you do for me!

Chelsey Howard said...

Seriously I wish I had gotten a letter from my future self too. But then again, I was so hard headed I wonder if even that would have made a difference. Being a teenager is so hard, and I would never wish to go back. The only thing I miss about being a teenager is being able to spend however much I wanted shopping and sleeping in.

Anonymous said...

o my garsh, i love this post. It reminds me of the Brad Paisley song "Letter To Me". I wish I would of known then what I know now about life. I would of not taken so many things for granted and appreciated more of the little things in life. Life will always be a learning experience and thankfully God will ALWAYS be forgiving. love you lots Aly.

☂niki. said...

Thanks for your sweet comment.

This was a thought provoking post. So much we wish we would have known when we were younger but had we known it then, we wouldn't be the same today. Funny how life works.

Rachel said...

I loved your letter! Wouldn't this of been nice! But at the same time I agree with Chelsea I was too hard headed. I needed to be humbled. I even could of used a letter like this 2 years ago, not just in highschool. I often think of the saying you mentioned "If I only knew then what I know now" just as you wouldn't of had three beautiful babies I wouldn't of had Parker. Who is my love. my life. my World.
Love you lots Aly and I always love reading your blog!

The Oxford Family said...

Thanks for sharing this Aly...love it.